Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Lemon Pound Cake

Recipe By: Devin Judkins

Hello all my foodies out there. Are you good? You good? You good? I'm good! You good? Okay good. Today I am sharing my recipe for a homemade lemon pound cake. It's coming up on my 1 year YouTube anniversary of my cooking channel and I decided what better way to celebrate by sharing a different version of my first video I posted on my cooking channel, which was my regular all butter pound cake. Check that out here.

A few weeks ago, someone asked me if I could make them a lemon pound cake and so I said to myself "Why not film it and post it to my cooking channel?" because at the time I still hadn't figured out which of my recipes I wanted to share next. The person also wanted the cake in loaf form, which is why I made it like this.

Now, the cake that you see in the picture is just a small version of this recipe. When I made the cake, and took the pictures for this blog and for the thumbnail on my cooking channel, I didn't like them, so I made a smaller version to take new pictures. This recipe is for a FULL pound cake. I used a 16 inch loaf pan to make the original cake, but this can also be made in a regular bundt cake pan.

If you've made my regular pound cake, you will see that there isn't too much of a difference between that recipe and this one. I don't like to make recipes too complicated. I like to create a base recipe and add to it to enhance and improve it.

I have made this cake both in a bundt pan an obviously in the loaf pan, and there isn't really a difference in the cook time. I really hope you enjoy this recipe. I get lots of compliments on it. Happy baking.

Cake Ingredients
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, (room temperature) [separated while cold]
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tsp salt

For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In the bowl of your mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy and combined. Next, add in the egg yolks one at a time mixing only until the yolk is mixed into the batter. Add in the vanilla extract, lemon extract, and lemon juice and mix well. Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl and then alternate adding the flour and the heavy cream. Start with the flour, and end with the flour. Place the egg whites in a bowl and with your mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter. Pour the batter into prepared pan and smooth it out evenly. Bake in preheated over for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. When the cake comes out of the oven. Let it cool in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes and then run a butter knife around the sides to loosen it up and then flip the cake out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Mix the ingredients for the glaze and spread it over the cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment