Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Makes about 3 cups of sauce
There's nothing like homemade cranberry sauce. I use to think that making cranberry was a difficult task, but it wasn't until a couple years ago when I tried making it myself and realized how easy it was. The first time I made cranberry sauce, I underestimated how tart cranberries can be, so I only added about 1/4 cup of sugar (I know that sounds ridiculous). I had a major surprise when I tasted. I had already cooked the cranberry sauce before I tasted it instead of tasting it before it was done. Major lesson learned. Anyway, I was able to add more sugar and fix the disaster.

Every since then I have had no trouble making cranberry sauce. My recipe is quick and simple, and is sure to please at your dinner table. It's really just a matter of putting everything in a pot and boiling it.

This cranberry sauce is just the way I like it. Not overly sweet and not too tart to where it tastes sour. You can adjust the ingredients in this recipe to fit your personal taste. If you prefer a more tart cranberry sauce, use a little less sugar than what's listed in the recipe. If you find my amount to be too little sugar, add more. Make this your own.



Notes:
 I've seen people use Pomegranate juice,apple juice, and even pineapple juice, so if that's what you prefer, use it. 

I had a few stubborn cranberries that just didn't want to pop, so if you encounter the same thing, just use a potato masher, or the back of your spoon to help crush them.

Cranberries have pectin in them that will thicken the sauce as it sits and cools down. There is no need to add any flour or cornstarch to thicken it.

If you don't like the cranberries in your sauce, while the sauce is still hot from the oven, run it through a strainer so that you are only left with the sauce and not the berries.



Ingredients:

- 1 (12 oz) package of fresh cranberries
- 2/3 cup cranberry juice
- Juice of a whole orange
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar

In a medium saucepan of medium heat place all four ingredients in, give them a stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10-15 minutes or until all the cranberries have popped, stirring to dissolve the sugar. After all the cranberries have popped, remove the sauce from the heat, and place in a heat-safe container to cool.

Homemade Cranberry Sauce. 
Recipe By: Devin Judkins

Store in refrigerator until ready to use. I really hope you enjoy this recipe and please remember to go over to YouTube and subscribe for video recipes. The video for this is recipe is below.




No comments:

Post a Comment